I am the first to admit this burger is way over the top. Eggs and bacon? Mayonnaise? All served with a juicy beef burger? This may not fall into the “healthful” category, but it has an honored place on my Top 10 Burgers list in terms of pure deliciousness! In fact, when I was done testing and retesting the recipes destined for the pages of my cookbooks, my kids begged for the bacon and egg burgers “one more time, please!”
So, if you feel like splurging on an extreme burger, here is your chance with the bacon egg burger.
Bacon Egg Burgers Ingredients
¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup Basil Pesto
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
4 hamburger buns
8 slices lean bacon, cooked until crisp and drained
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 large eggs
Bacon Egg Burgers Directions
- Mix together the mayonnaise and pesto, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and shape the meat into four patties.
- Preheat the grill to medium hot.
- Grill the patties for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until they reach the desired degree of doneness.
- Spread a generous tablespoon of the pesto mayonnaise on the bottom halves of the hamburger buns.
- Lay two slices of bacon on each bun.
- Put a burger on top of the bacon.
- Heat the oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. (You may find it easier to cook the eggs in two pans, two eggs per pan.)
- Crack the eggs in a small bowl one at a time and carefully slide each one into the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook for 2 minutes or until the whites are opaque.
- Lift the fried eggs from the pan and put 1 egg on top of each burger.
- Top with the remaining halves of the buns and serve right away.