A cake is a versatile dessert that can be paired with just about anything. For a sweet dessert, I go with a summer pound cake. I love the moisture that comes in a pound cake if done correctly. Add a little lemon flavor and you’ve got a delicious summer treat. You can pack a slice or two of the pound cake along with some iced tea, fresh berries and whipped cream for the perfect summer picnic. You can even serve with ice cream for a really moist and cooling dessert.
Summer pound cake is soon to be your new favorite summer treat.
Summer Pound Cake Ingredients
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing the tube pan.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Summer Pound Cake Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit
- Lightly butter a 10-inch tube pan or bundt pan. Make sure the tube is well greased as well as the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Put the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl, whisk well, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until smooth.
- Slowly add the sugar, scraping the sides of the bowl once or twice, and beat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs a little at a time, beating after each addition and continuing to beat until fully incorporated and the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Slowly beat in the zest, juice, and vanilla.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the cake springs back when gently pressed and a toothpick inserted near its center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert the cake over a wire rack and lift the pan off the cake.
- If the cake sticks, run a dull kitchen knife around the cake.
- Cool right side up on a wire rack.
- Wrapped well in plastic, this can keep for 2 to 3 days
Makes one 10-inch tube cake.