During the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when I get home from a busy day all I can think about is take out sounds good. I mean, take out is easy, but then my inner chef yells at me. So I turn on the kitchen lights, and as I roll up my sleeves, pour a glass of wine and fire up the oven, I remember why I love to cook. My family will be in the kitchen any second now, wondering what’s for dinner and ready to tell me about their day. That’s when I decide that chicken parmesan is on the menu. There’s just something about the melting cheese over some good homemade (or jarred) sauce that makes it a great choice for a cold night.
That same chicken parmesan recipe that I use is something I would love to share with you.
Chicken Parmesan Ingredients (Serves 4)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (5 to 6 ounces each)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups panko or seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 cup canola oil
1 ½ cups marinara sauce (your favorite brand or homemade), warmed
1 cup grated Provolone Cheese
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Chicken Parmesan Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl or on a plate, the beaten eggs in a bowl, and spread the breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl or on a plate.
- Dip each breast first in the flour to coat both sides and then in the eggs to coat. Lastly, dip the breasts in the breadcrumbs to coat both sides.
- Set aside each breast on a plate when fully coated.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until the oil is very hot. Drop a few breadcrumbs in the oil and if they sizzle, the oil is hot enough.
- Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Lift from the pan with tongs or a wide spatula and transfer to a baking dish large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until crispy and cooked through.
- Take the pan from the oven and spoon the sauce over the chicken to cover. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 5 to 8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
- Serve hot.